Thursday, August 13, 2020

Theme vs. Function

Magic card art is wonderful, but it serves no game play purpose; it's for flavor only.  But not to me.

I like it when decks are thematically consistent- meaning that the art of cards in a deck look like they could be part of the same story. But such consistency can come at the cost of success (I assure you, tournament winners focus on function and synergy, not theme). I get it, but I don't like it.
I'll share a few examples.

I have a deck termed "Song of the Sea" (I like to name my decks based on movies or cultural references). Some key cards are below.



It's thematically consistent- a sea-based deck where all cards are things that could be reasonably associated. There is a functional synergy, too- this is a deck about fast card drawing and related benefits- but repeated play has shown it just doesn't compete. It doesn't move quickly enough and is easily derailed by removal spells. Fair enough. It bums me out, though, because I like the consistency.

Next example: a white/black deck focused on life gain. Key cards:


The concept is simple: play creatures that enable life gain (Healer's Hawk, Impassioned Orator) and cards that benefit from life gain (Bloodthirsty Aerialist, Ajani's Pridemate). I've played against several decks with these cards; they're functionally powerful and synergisted, but look at the theme. Vampires allied with clerics, cat soldiers, and birds?! I have problems wrapping my head around that, even if it works.

Third example: a black/green adventure deck. Key cards:



Edgewall Innkeeper is key. Playing him plus Foulmire Knight (as a creature, not adventure) gives cheap and fast card draw. Lucky Clover helps copy adventure spells- especially Smitten Swordmaster, once you have a few knights out.  The deck works well, but again, consider the theme. An innkeeper cavorting with zombie knights?!

Magic is a great game. The possibilities are endless, even if they aren't "likely." But hey, this is a fantasy card game, so I should just get over it.  If you want to compete, focus on function. 

No comments:

Post a Comment