Wednesday, December 30, 2020

2020 Arena Stats


I conclude 2020 by looking at my Arena stats for the year (Magic: The Gathering Arena is a free-to-play digital online PC version of the collectible card game).

To date, Arena doesn't keep stats for you (they send occasional emails, which I capture here, but that's all), so I kept stats by hand using an Excel spreadsheet. Never again; it was time-consuming to go through the data. There are helpful trackers out there (my friend recommends https://mtga.untapped.gg/ as having the best game and deck stats). But moving on.

This year, I played 1450 games that 'counted' on Arena (meaning they weren't against the AI bot or in friendly matches with friends). My overall record was 721-729; almost dead-even. (I told you I'm not a good Magic player.) But I had fun. Here are some further breakdowns (you'll note a few game difference in these numbers, because I made a mistake somewhere when consolidating and refuse to spend hours finding where).

I played Constructed 80% of the time, Limited 20%.

Constructed: 582-593
(Constructed includes Standard and Historic play)

In Constructed, my Home Brews fared better (446-434) than my Net Decks (136-159). I enjoyed my Home Brews better anyway, playing them 75% of the time.

I played mono-colored decks 49% of the time, two-colored 36%, three-colored 14%, and five-colored 1%. I fared best in mono-black (102-77) and blue/red/green (76-43); my record by color:


My favorite Constructed decks were (not surprisingly) also my most-played and most-successful, going 302-221:
- mono-black "Tony" decks (100-71)
- mono-blue "Mill" decks (80-68)
- blue/red/green "Elemental" decks (76-43)
- white/black "Cleric" decks (46-39)

My biggest disappointments collectively went 80-141:
- mono-green "stompy" decks (53-61)
- mono-red "burn" decks (5-14)
- mono-blue "Song of the Sea" deck (5-16)
- red/green "Satyr" and "Landfall" decks (8-22)
- blue/red "Chimaera" deck (2-10)
- white/blue "High Alert" deck (7-18)

Limited: 139-139
(Limited includes draft, sealed, JumpStart and other Arena events)

In Limited, I liked Sealed the best, but Drafts and JumpStart were fun, too. Other events, not so much, and there were a few games (I call them 'unknown') that I think were Limited events but I didn't record sufficient detail on my spreadsheet to know for certain. The breakdown by event type:

By Month
Looking at games by month only, we have the following:

We'll see what 2021 brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment