Saturday, January 1, 2022

Reflecting and Looking Ahead

I should have reflected on 2021 yesterday, but I forgot. So here it is. 

In Magic, 2021 was defined by quantity. Look at all the sets that were released:

Seven. Seven?! It was too much. A normal year features four releases, maybe five if you count a special set. No wonder I'm burned out, and many others with me.

For the sets themselves, Kaldheim (Nordic theme) had some cool cards but wasn't quite as fun as I'd hoped. I enjoyed Time Spiral Remastered and Modern Horizons II for the cards they gave me for my modern/casual decks. I ignored Strixhaven- I never got into what was effectively "Magic does Harry Potter." I loved D&D: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms- that was the highlight of the year. The two Innistrad sets (Midnight Hunt and Crimson Vow) were pretty good, but not overwhelming. I liked that they improved the wording/mechanics on the werewolf cards.

Looking ahead to 2022, a lot more is on the horizon . . .

Thankfully, I'm not interested in Kamigawa, Unfinity, or Streets of New Capenna. That will give my wallet some breathing room. I hope to get at least some staples from the D&D Battle for Baldur's Gate Commander Legends set. I'm intrigued by Dominaria United and The Brothers War. But we'll see what the budget allows . . . a 2022 resolution is to spend less money. 

Happy 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment