I looked at the 56 Commander decks I currently have and mapped each to its primary deck theme (some had more than one). Excel for some reason inverted the list (so my category 12 is presented first), but order is irrelevant; the below chart shows the results.
Not surprisingly, I love kindred decks (a subcategory under the "Creature Attributes" type); over a quarter of my decks fall here. My next favorite type is . . . "Type," by which I mean decks that work based on certain spell types being cast ("whenever you cast a noncreature spell . . . ") or having a certain number of card types (artifacts, etc.) on the battlefield.
My third favorite categories are a tie between "Transition" and "Combat/Damage." Transition decks cover a wide range, including enter the battlefield, discard, and sacrifice decks. Combat/damage decks focus on combat ("whenever a creature you control attacks [or does damage], . . .").
My top four categories in aggregate account for 67% of my decks.
My biggest surprise is not having any Commander decks focused on a counter theme (I have casual 60-card decks that do so). As one who enjoys exploring all this game offers, I'll have to put constructing a Commander deck with this theme on my list. And maybe back off the kindred decks for while.
Until next time . . . keep exploring.


No comments:
Post a Comment